Many people are overpaying for their electricity simply because they do not know their home’s average kWh usage.
The average power bill in Texas currently ranges from about $100 to $300 per month, depending on the size of the house and other factors. By learning your home’s average kWh usage, you can choose an electricity plan most suited to your home and ensure you aren’t overpaying.
Average kWh Usage in Texas by Home Size
Before choosing an energy plan, you must determine your average kWh usage per month. Below are some quick statistics for various size houses:
● The average kWh usage for a 3,000 sq ft home is about 2,300 kWh.
● The average kWh usage for a 2,000 sq ft home is about 1400 kWh.
● The average kWh usage for a 2-bedroom apartment is approximately 900 kWh.
● The average kWh usage per month for a 1-bedroom apartment is about 600 kWh.
These are estimates for kWh usage and they can vary depending on your energy usage habits, the number of people you live with, and the weather. To get a more precise kWh usage for your home, check your SmartMeter usage information, which can tell you the exact amount you used per month.
Average Electric Bill in Texas
After learning your average kWh usage per month, you can choose the right-sized electricity plan for your home. This helps ensure you aren’t overpaying for your energy bill.
According to the U.S Energy Information Administration, the average energy rate in Texas in early 2023 was about 14 cents per kWh. Electricity rates trended lower since then due to a dramatic decrease in the cost of natural gas, which is the primary source fuel for electricity in Texas, but rates are expected to climb again to the 14-cent range in 2024.
At 14 cents/kWh, Home Energy Club has calculated the average electric bills in Texas based on the size of your home, as follows:
● The average energy bill for a 3,000 sq ft home is about $322
● The average power bill for a 2,000 sq ft home is about $196
● The average electric bill for a 2-bedroom apartment is approximately $126
● The average electricity bill for a 1-bedroom apartment is about $84
These rates are subject to change as the market ebbs and flows and depend on your energy usage habits, the number of people you live with, the weather, and even which city in Texas you live in. For instance, the average electricity bill in Houston is about $178 per month, whereas the average electricity bill in Dallas is approximately $150. This is due to some cities in Texas having different transmission and utility providers (TDUs), which can alter the transmission charges, as well as differences in weather.
Below are the different TDUs in Texas, which you can explore to determine the TDU that services you: