Texas Electric Utility Companies

In the event you have a power outage, the regulated Transmission and Distribution Utility company (TDU, or TDSP) in your area corrects outages, not the retail energy provider (REP) who sells you electricity. Read our article to understand the functions of a TDU versus a retail electric company.

TDUs maintain the wires and poles, check meters and track your home’s energy usage, and their charges are included in the monthly amount you pay to your REP. You can conveniently access your kWh usage data at Smart Meter Texas.

The largest TDUs in Texas are Centerpoint Energy in the Houston metro area and Oncor Electric in the Dallas metro area. You’ll find background information on Texas TDUs, along with outage tracking links and contact information on our Centerpoint (Houston area) and Oncor (Dallas-Fort Worth) profile pages, and our AEP American Electric Power, TNMP Texas New Mexico Power and Sharyland Utilities pages.

You can locate contact information for all six TDUs in our Texas power outage contact guide.

Here are TDU phone numbers to report an electricity outage in your area:

  • Oncor: 888-313-4747
  • AEP: 866-223-8508
  • CenterPoint Energy: 800-332-7143
  • Texas New Mexico Power (TNMP): 888-866-7456
  • Sharyland Utilities: 800-545-4513




Let us send you our best rates at the
time of your next renewal

Please enter your email address
Please enter your zip code

When is your estimated energy contract renewal?

Please select a month
Please select a year
Home Energy Club

Thank you for giving us your information so that we
can send you our best rates when you need them.

We will soon send you a link to our Savvy Shopper's Guide. It includes: