First Choice Power was acquired by the parent company of Reliant Energy called NRG Energy. The First Choice brand name has been retired and your service now is operated by NRG.
Legacy customers of First Choice are able to call 1-866-469-2464 for historical information regarding your usage data, billing information, payment history and more.
For expert help in choosing the best plan for your home’s energy usage going forward, call a Reliant operator (English/Spanish) direct at 833-339-0416.
Energy Provider Ratings
Home Energy Club obtains objective data on more than 40 electricity companies in Texas from independent review sites, the State of Texas Public Utility Commission Complaints site, and other sources. We determine our Home Energy Club rating score by combining results from our HEC/Amazon customer rating surveys with this third party information.
Frequently Asked Questions about First Choice Power
First Choice Power’s brand is retired and is now part of NRG. Want to compare electric companies?
Home Energy Club rates the Best Electric Companies in Texas with a time-tested vetting process. The current list, in no particular order, is below.
- Payless Power (833-926-9776): leader in prepaid and no-deposit plans
- Reliant Energy (833-339-0416): leading brand in Houston with superb service
- Gexa Energy (855-639-8212): green plans, low rates, top brand
- Green Mountain Energy (833-339-0421): green energy with “free” usage plans
- Pulse Power (888-853-4219): low rates, dependable service, responsive
- Cirro Energy (833-392-9778): transparent bills, Reliant affiliate, simple plans
- Just Energy (866-385-6065): established provider, clear rates
- TXU Energy (800-818-6132): quality service, leading provider in Dallas
- 4Change Energy (855-784-2426): TXU affiliate, low rates, quality service
- Champion Energy (844-856-9388): affordable rates, established brand
- TriEagle Energy (888-380-4813): clear rates, low-cost green energy plans
Find ways to get lower electricity rates in Texas.
Who reviews the electricity plans of energy providers in Texas?
HomeEnergyClub.com has verified energy providers and their plans. On this user-friendly consumer advocacy site, you can:
- Read estimated monthly energy bill amounts in the Plan Details popups
- Compare energy plans based on:
- Rate offers
- Verified customer reviews
- Early termination fees
Home Energy Club helps Texas residents save money on their monthly energy bills—and you can learn useful information, such as how to read an Electricity Facts Label (EFL), so you always know the types of charges that will appear on your bill.
What are problems with electricity company review sites?
Home Energy Club has found that some energy review sources may be problematic and cause expensive bill surprises for consumers who mistakenly choose gimmicky plans based on flawed information:
- Small niche review sources: may give companies top search rankings and reviews in exchange for fees
- Texas electricity ratings sites: preferential treatment may be given to companies that pay fees
- Government sites: Power to Choose Texas, along with other government sites, may be gamed to trick consumers
The club uses only objective sources for electric company reviews and plan information.
How to find a promo code to get a rate discount?
Check for promo codes to get potential discounts at Home Energy Club:
- Browse the Home Energy Club promo codes page to view active promotional codes for many providers
- Or search on RetailMeNot for promo codes from Gexa Energy, Frontier Power and others.
Find the electricity plan that’s right for you at HomeEnergyClub.com.
Why does Power to Choose (government site) get many complaints?
While the comparison site HomeEnergyClub.com works to help Texas residents avoid energy bill shocks with vetted plans, government-run Power to Choose has been flooded with customer complaints, many regarding misleading information used by the providers:
- Gimmicks: companies have gamed the site, leading to customer confusion and higher bills
- Shutdown talks: state leaders have discussed shutting the site down
- Concerns: the Public Utility Commission Chairman has expressed concern over the viability of the government site
Home Energy Club is the best alternative to Power to Choose in Texas, and the best comparison site for reducing surprises on your energy bills.