It can be hard to find unbiased electric company reviews to help you decide which Texas electricity providers (light companies) you can trust.
To provide you with the fullest picture of a provider’s customer reputation based on reviews, below in our FAQs you will find links to energy provider reviews from multiple independent sources that do not sell electricity and thus have no conflict of interest based on energy marketing.
While all review sites can potentially be gamed, we believe that by providing you with a convenient one-stop format to view reviews from numerous credible review sites, as well as the Better Business Bureau and Texas Public Utilities Commission’s Customer Complaint Statistics sites, you will have a more complete set of information from which you can make a decision.
To additionally help you avoid billing surprises, Home Energy Club vets all energy plans with our TrustPlan process. Also, we conduct surveys of random Texas residents using Amazon’s database to learn their opinions of energy providers, which helps us determine which electric companies to include and exclude from our site.
Learn more about electric companies in our FAQs below and on our Texas electricity city pages.
Electricity Company Reviews Frequently Asked Questions
Where to find objective Texas electric company reviews?
Home Energy Club uses objective, independent sources for reviews, ratings and complaint statistics, including:
- The Public Utility Commission of Texas
- The Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- HEC/Amazon surveys of Amazon’s customer base
- Google Reviews and Yelp Reviews
Where to find a table of electric company ratings and reviews?
Source: HomeEnergyClub.com has certified ratings and reviews of Texas electric companies.
|Green Mountain Energy|
|Lone Star Energy|
|First Choice Power|
What electric companies are rated as the best in Texas?
HomeEnergyClub.com, using its industry knowledge, customer data and unbiased vetting processes, rates the current Top 13 Best Electric Companies in Texas as follows:
- Reliant Energy (833-339-0416): high-rated service, most trusted brand in Houston
- Gexa Energy (855-639-8212): very low rates, 100% green plans, trusted brand
- TriEagle Energy (888-380-4813): consistently low rates with straightforward plans
- Green Mountain Energy (833-339-0421): pioneer of 100% green plans in Texas
- Pulse Power (888-853-4219): ultra-low rates, trusted brand, fastest growing provider
- Cirro Energy (833-392-9778): easy-to-use website, straightforward pricing
- Payless Power (833-926-9776): best provider for prepaid “no deposit” plans
- Just Energy (866-385-6065): straightforward rates, well-established provider
- Chariot Energy (844-978-6797): affordable 100% solar with no equipment required
- Amigo Energy (888-864-0599): established brand, straightforward rates
- TXU Energy (800-818-6132): high-rated service, most trusted brand in Dallas
- 4Change Energy (855-784-2426): quality TXU sister company with low rates
- Champion Energy (844-856-9388): popular brand, moderate pricing
Who reviews electricity plans in Texas?
Energy plans in Texas appearing on the premier comparison site HomeEnergyClub.com are reviewed manually to eliminate the ones that include deceptive gimmicks which cause bill surprises. Their TrustPlan™ vetting process has evolved over 10 years based on the company’s analytics and consumer data. To assist you in selecting the best energy plan for your home, the site’s free service also provides the following features:
- The home page includes a filter that allows you to exclude plans which result in less predictable billing
- The “Compare Plans” feature in the filter section makes it convenient to compare plans side-by-side with information including rates at usage levels, early termination fees, BBB rating and other data
- Energy companies including Pulse Power and Gexa Energy offer 60-day and 90-day guarantees on plans, allowing you to switch to one of their other plans in the event the one you originally selected isn’t a match with your home’s energy usage
- Details on each plan, including your estimated monthly bill, are noted in “Plan Details” popups
- Handy guides help you choose the best energy plan for your home, save money and cut the chances of a bill surprise
Home Energy Club strives to reduce the chances that Texas citizens will experience unwelcome bill surprises.
Why does Power to Choose (government site) get so many complaints?
Power to Choose, the electricity comparison site operated by the state government, has been riddled with consumer complaints for many years due to its lack of quality control. Unethical electric companies have learned how to “game” the website with gimmicky plans which display very low rates in order to gain a ranking advantage on the site. However, these gimmick plans are deceptive and result in much higher rates than customers are led to believe.
State leaders have debated closing the website if the problems continue. Public Utility Commission Chairman, DeAnn Walker, said, “If two years from now none of these things work, then I think we need to reconsider the wisdom of a government agency running a commercial website.”
The best alternative to Power to Choose in Texas is HomeEnergyClub.com because the comparison site manually vets each plan with its unique TrustPlan™ to cut plans with deceptive gimmicks that result in bill surprises. Also, the site does not sell preferred treatment to providers, and helps customers choose a provider and plan with certified reviews and ratings, complaint statistics and well-written guides.
What are limitations to electricity company review sites?
There are limitations with each of the energy review sources below which can result in giving consumers a misleading view of providers and the quality of their service. Studies have shown that there are a significant number of fake reviews posted on review sites.
Here are potential problems according to the electricity consumer advocate and comparison site Home Energy Club:
- Texas electricity review sites: some energy sites curate reviews of their customers in a manner that benefits providers that pay them higher fees. If you see composite 5-star ratings for specific providers, beware of the quality of the reviews, as perfect scores are a red flag.
- Major independent review sites: general review sites that don’t sell electricity serve as legitimate independent sources, but may have some slanted reviews due to “gaming” tactics of providers. Tactics include burying negative reviews by down-clicking them and by posting successive volumes of positive reviews.
- Government comparison sites: government energy rate sites generally have a lack of quality control and a history of being severely gamed by some providers. The Power to Choose Texas site has received much negative media attention due to customer complaints. However, the Texas PUC has a Customer Complaints page which includes objective statistics.
Compare Energy Rates from Top Texas Electric Companies (Oncor zone). Enter zip code for your rates.
|Average Monthly Usage|
|Smart Lock 24 Online||13.9¢||12.6¢||11.4¢||24 Months||Fixed||$200||0%|
|Smart Value 12 Online||12.4¢||8.3¢||9.2¢||12 Months||Fixed||$200||0%|
|Gexa Saver Deluxe 12||16.1¢||5.7¢||10.6¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Saver Premium 12||13.4¢||13.1¢||7.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Saver Premium 24||13.9¢||13.6¢||8.4¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295.00||100%|
|Gexa Saver Supreme 24||15.9¢||7.0¢||11.1¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295.00||100%|
|Gexa Saver Freedom 12||12.4¢||12.1¢||11.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Saver Freedom 36||13.2¢||12.9¢||12.7¢||36 Months||Fixed||$295.00||100%|
|Gexa Superb Saver 12||18.3¢||14.4¢||7.5¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Saver 12||16.7¢||6.8¢||11.4¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Saver Supreme 12||15.3¢||6.4¢||10.5¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Just Energy Web Plan - 24||10.9¢||10.9¢||10.9¢||24 Months||Fixed||$175||0%|
|Just Energy Web Plan - 12||11.1¢||11.1¢||11.1¢||12 Months||Fixed||$175||0%|
|PULSE POWER PLANS|
|Texas Fixed 12||10.5¢||10¢||9.7¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20||19%|
|Texas Fixed 24||10.4¢||9.9¢||9.6¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20||19%|
|Texas Fixed 36||10.3¢||9.8¢||9.5¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20||19%|
|Truly Free Nights 12||16¢||14.6¢||13.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||0%|
|Truly Free Weekends 12||14.5¢||14.1¢||13.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||0%|
|Truly Free 7 Days 12||14.5¢||14.1¢||13.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||0%|
|Secure Advantage 12||14.1¢||11.7¢||11.5¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||5%|
|Eagle 12||11.2¢||10.7¢||10.4¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20.00||6%|
|SMART Energy 36||11¢||10.5¢||10.2¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||6%|
|Eagle 24||10.6¢||10.1¢||9.8¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||6%|
|Eagle 36||10.6¢||10.1¢||9.8¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||6%|
|SMART Energy 24||11.2¢||10.7¢||10.4¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||6%|
|Green Eagle 36||11¢||10.5¢||10.2¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||100%|
|Green Eagle 24||10.9¢||10.4¢||10.1¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||100%|
|Green Eagle 12||11.5¢||11¢||10.7¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20.00||100%|