It can be hard to find objective Texas energy reviews to help you decide which Texas electric providers (light companies) you can trust.
In our FAQs below you will find links to Home Energy Club reviews for Texas electric providers from multiple independent sources that do not sell electricity and have no conflict of interest, such as Google, the Better Business Bureau and the Texas PUC’s Customer Complaint site.
To additionally help you avoid billing surprises, Home Energy Club vets all energy plans with our TrustPlan™ process. Learn more about electric companies in our FAQs below and on our Texas electricity city pages.
Texas Energy Company Reviews Frequently Asked Questions
Where to find objective Texas electric provider reviews?
Home Energy Club uses objective, independent sources for reviews, ratings and complaint statistics, including:
- The Public Utility Commission of Texas
- HEC/Amazon surveys of Amazon’s customer base
- Google Reviews and Yelp Reviews
Where to find a table of electric company ratings and reviews?
|Green Mountain Energy|
|Flagship Energy||2022||Flagship Reviews|
|New Power||2018||New Power Reviews|
|Lone Star Energy|
|Acacia Energy||2010||Acacia Reviews|
|Energy Texas||2021||Energy Texas Reviews|
|First Choice Power|
|Our Energy||2008||Our Energy Reviews|
|Pronto Power||2011||Pronto Reviews|
|Rhythm Energy||2020||Rhythm Reviews|
What electric companies are rated as the best in Texas?
- Reliant Energy (866-735-1218): high-rated service, most trusted brand in Houston
- Gexa Energy (855-639-8212): very low rates, 100% green plans, trusted brand
- TriEagle Energy (888-380-4813): consistently low rates with straightforward plans
- Green Mountain Energy (844-724-3211): pioneer of 100% green plans in Texas
- Pulse Power (888-853-4219): ultra-low rates, trusted brand, fastest growing provider
- Cirro Energy (855-463-9960): easy-to-use website, straightforward pricing
- Payless Power (833-926-9776): best provider for prepaid “no deposit” plans
- Just Energy (866-385-6065): straightforward rates, well-established provider
- Chariot Energy (844-978-6797): affordable 100% solar with no equipment required
- Amigo Energy (888-864-0599): established brand, straightforward rates
- TXU Energy (800-818-6132): high-rated service, most trusted brand in Dallas
- 4Change Energy (855-784-2426): quality company with low rates
- Champion Energy (844-856-9388): popular brand, moderate pricing
Who reviews electricity plans in Texas?
Energy plans in Texas appearing on the premier comparison site HomeEnergyClub.com are reviewed manually to eliminate the ones that include deceptive gimmicks which cause bill surprises and compare electric companies in Texas. Their TrustPlan™ vetting process has evolved over 10 years based on the company’s analytics and consumer data. To assist you in selecting the best energy plan for your home, the site’s free service also provides the following features:
- The home page includes a filter that allows you to exclude plans which result in less predictable billing
- The “Compare Plans” feature in the filter section makes it convenient to compare plans side-by-side with information including rates at usage levels, early termination fees, BBB rating and other data
- Energy companies like Gexa Energy offer a 60-day guarantee on plans, allowing you to switch to one of their other plans in the event the one you originally selected isn’t a match with your home’s energy usage
- Details on each plan, including your estimated monthly bill, are noted in “Plan Details” popups
- Handy guides help you choose the best energy plan for your home, save money and cut the chances of a bill surprise
Home Energy Club strives to reduce the chances that Texas citizens will experience unwelcome bill surprises.
Why does Power to Choose (government site) get so many complaints?
Power to Choose, the electricity comparison site operated by the state government, has been riddled with consumer complaints for many years due to its lack of quality control. Unethical electric companies have learned how to “game” the website with gimmicky plans which display very low rates in order to gain a ranking advantage on the site. However, these gimmick plans are deceptive and result in much higher rates than customers are led to believe.
State leaders have debated closing the website if the problems continue. Public Utility Commission Chairman, DeAnn Walker, said, “If two years from now none of these things work, then I think we need to reconsider the wisdom of a government agency running a commercial website.”
The best alternative to Power to Choose in Texas is HomeEnergyClub.com because the comparison site manually vets each plan with its unique TrustPlan™ to cut plans with deceptive gimmicks that result in bill surprises. Also, the site does not sell preferred treatment to Texas electric providers, and helps customers choose a provider and plan with certified reviews and ratings, complaint statistics and well-written guides.
What are limitations to electricity company review sites?
There are limitations with each of the energy review sources below which can result in giving consumers a misleading view of providers and the quality of their service. Studies have shown that there are a significant number of fake reviews posted on review sites.
Here are potential problems according to the electricity consumer advocate and comparison site Home Energy Club:
- Texas energy review sites: some energy sites curate reviews of their customers in a manner that benefits providers that pay them higher fees. If you see composite 5-star ratings for specific providers, beware of the quality of the reviews, as perfect scores are a red flag.
- Major independent review sites: general review sites that don’t sell electricity serve as legitimate independent sources, but may have some slanted reviews due to “gaming” tactics of providers. Tactics include burying negative reviews by down-clicking them and by posting successive volumes of positive reviews.
- Government comparison sites: government energy rate sites generally have a lack of quality control and a history of being severely gamed by some providers. The Power to Choose Texas site has received much negative media attention due to customer complaints. However, the Texas PUC has a Customer Complaints page which includes objective statistics.
Compare Energy Rates from Top Texas Electric Companies (Oncor zone). Enter zip code for your rates.
|Average Monthly Usage|
|Smart Value 24||16.3¢||12.9¢||14.1¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295||20%|
|Smart Simple 24 Online||16.7¢||15.3¢||14.5¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295||20%|
|Smart Value 12||18.3¢||14.9¢||16.1¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||20%|
|Gexa Saver Freedom 36||18¢||17.6¢||17.4¢||36 Months||Fixed||$295.00||100%|
|Gexa Eco Saver Plus 24||24¢||11.1¢||17.2¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295.00||100%|
|Gexa Energy Saver 24||17¢||16.6¢||16.4¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295.00||100%|
|Gexa Eco Saver Premium 24||23.7¢||19.8¢||11.6¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295.00||100%|
|Gexa Eco Saver Advantage 12||21¢||20.6¢||15.4¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Eco Saver Premium 12||24.4¢||20.4¢||12.2¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Eco Saver Plus 12||24¢||11.1¢||17.1¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Smart EV Saver 12||16.4¢||16¢||15.8¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Gexa Eco Saver Lite 12||14.5¢||19.1¢||21.4¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150.00||100%|
|Base Saver III - 12||22.4¢||14.5¢||18.1¢||12 Months||Fixed||$175||12%|
|Just Energy Web Plan - 24||16.5¢||16.5¢||16.5¢||24 Months||Fixed||$175||12%|
|Just Energy Web Plan - 12||16.9¢||16.9¢||16.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$175||12%|
|Conservation 24||16.4¢||15.5¢||16¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295||20%|
|Basic Power 24||18.2¢||15.8¢||15.5¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295||20%|
|Basic Power 12||18.6¢||16.2¢||15.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||20%|
|Conservation 12||17.4¢||16.5¢||17¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||20%|
|Truly Free Nights 100% Solar 12||18.2¢||17.8¢||17.5¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||100%|
|Truly Free Weekends 100% Solar 12||17.6¢||17.2¢||16.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||100%|
|Savvy Value 36||16.2¢||15.7¢||13.9¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||7%|
|Sure Value 36||17.4¢||13.9¢||15.1¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||7%|
|Sure Value 12||18¢||14.5¢||15.7¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20.00||7%|
|Savvy Value 24||16.2¢||15.7¢||13.9¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||7%|
|Savvy Value 12||16.8¢||16.3¢||14.5¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20.00||7%|
|Sure Value 24||17.4¢||13.9¢||15.1¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||7%|