You may have heard about Griddy Energy or Griddy Electricity (sometimes misspelled as Gritty Energy). They are a new electric company that claims to offer Texas energy plans at variable wholesale rates plus their fee of $9.99 per month… but, there are hidden costs.
And they say Griddy provides great average rates on electricity compared to other Texas electric companies... but again, not exactly. Customers also complain about operator service after signing up at Griddy’s phone number 800-993-6207. The electric company lists a location at 11811 North Freeway, #546 Houston, TX 77060, but their social media host said their operations are based in California. Read on.
Compare Griddy Energy Rates to These Fixed Electricity Rates.*
|Average Monthly Usage|
|Smart Value 12 Online||12.6¢||8.5¢||9.4¢||12 Months||Fixed||$200||10%|
|Smart Lock 24 Online||13.9¢||12.6¢||11.4¢||24 Months||Fixed||$200||10%|
|Gexa Saver Premium 12||14.2¢||13.9¢||8.7¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||100%|
|Gexa Saver Premium 24||13.9¢||13.6¢||8.4¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295||100%|
|Gexa Saver 12||17.4¢||7.5¢||12.1¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||100%|
|Gexa Saver Freedom 36||13.2¢||12.9¢||12.7¢||36 Months||Fixed||$295||100%|
|Gexa Saver Supreme 24||15.9¢||7¢||11.1¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295||100%|
|Gexa Saver Supreme 12||16.3¢||7.4¢||11.5¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||100%|
|PULSE POWER PLANS|
|Texas Fixed 12||10.8¢||10.3¢||10¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20||15%|
|Texas Fixed 24||10.7¢||10.2¢||9.9¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20||15%|
|Texas Saver 24||16.7¢||6.9¢||11.5¢||24 Months||Fixed||$125||15%|
|Texas Saver 36||17.1¢||7.3¢||11.9¢||36 Months||Fixed||$125||15%|
|Texas Fixed 36||10.6¢||10.1¢||9.8¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20||15%|
|Texas Saver 12||16.1¢||6.3¢||10.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$125||15%|
|Texas Green 24||11¢||10.5¢||10.2¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20||100%|
|Texas Green 36||10.9¢||10.4¢||10.1¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20||100%|
|Texas Green 12||11¢||10.5¢||10.2¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20||100%|
|Truly Free Nights 12||16.6¢||15.2¢||14.5¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||5%|
|Secure Advantage 24||13.1¢||10.7¢||10.5¢||24 Months||Fixed||$295||5%|
|Truly Free Weekends 12||14.5¢||14.1¢||13.9¢||12 Months||Fixed||$150||5%|
|SMART Energy 24||10.6¢||10.1¢||9.8¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||15%|
|Eagle 12||10.1¢||9.6¢||9.3¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20.00||15%|
|Eagle 36||9.9¢||9.4¢||9.1¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||15%|
|SMART Energy 36||10.3¢||9.8¢||9.5¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||15%|
|Eagle 24||10¢||9.5¢||9.2¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||15%|
|Green Eagle 24||10.3¢||9.8¢||9.5¢||24 Months||Fixed||$20.00||100%|
|Green Eagle 12||10.4¢||9.9¢||9.6¢||12 Months||Fixed||$20.00||100%|
|Green Eagle 36||10.2¢||9.7¢||9.4¢||36 Months||Fixed||$20.00||100%|
*Oncor zone rates. Enter zip code for fixed rates in your area and more providers.
Griddy Houston Chronicle Story and Griddy Reviews: Not a Pretty Sight
First, see this Houston Chronicle article, “Griddy Customers Feel the Bite of Soaring Wholesale Power Prices“. Then, check Griddy energy reviews on their Google Business Page. A lot of the Griddy electricity reviews are brutal. And you’ll find more Griddy power reviews in the posts of their Facebook ads.
Here are some sample Griddy reviews:
“Don’t do it!!! They ended up taking $223.24 out of my account for just 1 week of service! It takes so long to get anyone on the phone for customer service. I had to switch back to Just Energy where I am locked in at a rate of 9.7cents per KWH. As I write this review, Griddy’s projected price for this afternoon is going to be $1.45 per KWH !!!! This is the worst thing ever!” – Lisa J. (Google Business Page)
“Y’all seriously don’t screw yourself they charged me over $1000 last year for a power surge they did nothing for rectify anything for all the customers that lost hundreds to thousands.” – Jordon L. (Facebook Griddy ad post)
Here’s the Things You Need to Know about Griddy
Let’s cut to the chase. Here are the things you need to know about Griddy in a nutshell:
- Yes, you are paying wholesale price, but Griddy’s rate floats with the market and you can have eye-popping bill surprises during the summer, as many Texans have experienced.
- Griddy claims that their average rate is about 9.4 cents/kWh, but the fine print on their website notes that this is based on monthly energy usage of “1,550 kWh/month”, which is significantly more than the Texas average for small to mid-size homes and apartments/condos. Using a high usage number allows Griddy to divide their fees by a larger number, which results in a lower price quote… but the actual price that a large percentage of Texans would experience would be higher.
- While you pay $9.99 per month, Griddy also charges you a credit or debit card fee, which one analyst noted can amount to another $9.00 per month. Based on a $9 fee for use of a charge card, you’re really paying a total of about $19 per month for Griddy’s high risk gamble with your energy bill. Under this scenario, if you’re an apartment renter with an average usage of 500 kWh per month, Griddy’s monthy fee plus card fees would equate to 4 cents per kWh in addition the wholesale price of energy and TDU transmissions charges!
- On Griddy’s website, they compare their rates to those of the highest price energy providers in the market, such as Direct Energy, rather than the reputable discount rate providers such as Gexa Energy, Pulse Power, TriEagle Energy and others who offer fixed rates that won’t change regardless of the fluctuations in wholesale rates. These discount electric companies often have fixed rates that are less than variable rates offered by Griddy if you include all the price components.
Why pay more to pay Russian Roulette with your energy bill?
Three questions for you:
- Do you really wish to monitor energy price spikes 24/7 to avoid the risk of bombshell bill surprises from Griddy’s floating rates?
- Why should you pay more for taking price risks when you can get fixed rates from the best electric companies in Texas for less than what Griddy charges?
- Do you want to find the cheapest electricity provider rates you can trust in Texas from electric companies that have better ratings and reviews?
Here’s our best Texas electricity rate chart with a sampling of trusted energy providers and their rates. Compare their fixed locked rates which have no wholesale index risk to those of Griddy’s risky rate model that causes bill surprises. Use our Electricity Fact Label Guide and Smart Meter Texas Guide to help you. Note that you can get a renewable energy plan that will help the planet and save you money.